In the world there are thousands of species of mosquitoes, in Spain round about fifty species. If you think all the mosquitoes look at you, it’s that you get plenty of bites, but it’s no accident.
Mosquitoes bite everyone but there are people whose immune system affects them most and they suffer a greater reaction to bites, according to the Public Health Agency of Barcelona.
The female mosquitoes are those that need more blood, especially in the period of egg laying, the time when most active are between August and September, although this factor also depends on the weather.
But the big question we all ask ourselves is: “What attracts them and why do I suffer so many bites?” Three factors come into play here: olfactory, visual and thermal.
Mosquitoes follow the smell of CO2 exhaled by humans and other mammals, they are also guided by body temperature and finally by the sweat of our skin.
The attack sequence of this animal is between 10 and 50 meters away when they smell the CO2; and between 5 and 15 meters is the perimeter where they visibly appreciate their victim, while the heat emitted detects it between 1 and 2 meters away, according to the study of the Current Biology magazine.
The blood group has been shown to also influence. The mosquito usually bites people with groups 0 and B negative. Another curious appreciation is that they prefer pregnant women, since when they make greater efforts during their pregnancy, they exhale more CO2, their body temperature rises slightly and they sweat more.
But what if I get stings, what can I do?
- Wash the skin with soap and water.
- Do not scratch
- Apply cold to reduce inflammation.
- In important inflammations it may be necessary to use corticosteroid creams.
Next, we leave you a series of recommendations and tips to avoid the bites of these annoying insects:
- Use skin repellents.
- Anti-mosquito bracelets.
- Do not apply sweet smells. Concerning fragrances and aromas of colognes, creams, etc.
- Avoid areas where mosquitoes abound. The schedule where mosquitoes are most active should be respected, in the late afternoon and during the night, both places where there may be standing water, which is where they usually breed.
- Wear light colored clothes and long sleeves.
- Use natural remedies There are natural products that have repellent effects on these bugs such as rosemary, citronella, thyme, eucalyptus, etc.
- Do not use ultrasound devices. Insects do not hear the sound that comes from this device, or if they hear it they get used to it. In Spain, FACUA ha pedido la retirada del mercado de estos aparatos ya que los consideran una verdadera estafa.
Finally, and not least, there is one more option to avoid these flying intruders, it is the installation of mosquito nets in our home, which can be fixed in both windows and doors, distinguishing between different modes.
You can see all the options that we offer in our Mosquiluz product catalog.